We have had a web presence for a decade and a half.
On November 14, 1995, our original registration of the sophsoft.com domain was approved. Back in those days, our online activity was conducted via BBS, CompuServe, America OnLine, and Delphi (albeit briefly). At the time, we spent about $150 in various fees to secure the domain name, having originally failed to obtain sophisticated.com by about a month. We had to go through our dial-up provider (before the term “Internet Service Provider” [ISP] was coined) to register with InterNIC, which (as Network Solutions) was in the process of change, including the institution of fees for registering domains. The domain was a shortening/concatenation of our company name, Sophisticated Software Systems.
Within a year, our company had incorporated as SophSoft, Incorporated, using the domain as the basis for its official name. Our provider was bought out by another company, ACD.net (which is now our ISP, and one of the largest providers in the state), so we had to figure out how to navigate the domain system ourselves. At the time, one had to email a specially formatted text message to a particular address in order to make any changes, which (of course) took time to take effect. We also got broadband via one of the very first commercial cable modems in the country, and were soon running our own servers (which is probably a bad habit that continues to this day). Our early websites were fairly minimal, built originally via HTML in a text editor.
Today, domain names are easy to purchase and manage, changes are close to immediate (with propagation issues being just a side note), web pages are much simpler to create, broadband is much faster and nearly ubiquitous, and expectations for internet communication are far higher. All of that makes it fairly ironic that our first site has hardly been touched in five years…